While listening to someone talking about something very important or while attending academic classes or during live webinars, have you ever felt a need to design such a piece of paper containing all these lines you understood during this period of time for further knowledge.
The skills of putting down everything you learnt on a paper is known as Note-making handwritten notes always seem like “Brahmastra” (According to ancient text- Brahmastra were the supernatural weapons), a weapon that help you to conquer and win the battle grounds of Examination.
So, before getting stated with making notes, once go through the following tips:
Use of Pneumonic and Diagrams:
Pneumonic are the group of letters or simple sentences whose initials represents a meaning or context. These help us to remember list of names or steps in a much easier way. Topics that are meant to learn and keep in mind for a long period are made interesting and easy to remember.
For example; to learn the list of metals reactivity series we take help of Pneumonic as:
Now, talking about diagrams, it includes various type of representation such as Mind maps, flowchart, Tree-diagram, Boxes, etc.
- Mind maps act as a tool that helps our brain to remember things, collect knowledge and create ideas.
- Flow charts and Tree-diagram help to study the relation between two or more things in a much better and easier way.
- Boxes help to draw your attention to some of the most important terms or lines from the whole context.
- Use of bullet points or number system shows a systemic way of learning.
- In addition you can place those mind maps, charts or pneumonic pages at a place where your sight goes more frequently. So, that you can memorize it in a much faster way.
2. Gradually Concise your Notes:
When you first time make notes of given text, you mention everything in the simplest way you can. Then Second time when you revise you prefer reading notes over reading the whole text, so this time makes notes from the previous notes. Concise your notes, i.e., explain the same concept in 2-3 lines for which you have written a whole paragraph in the previous notes.
Repeat the same process every time you revise as this will make you strong over that topic and finally you will end up compressing the whole text into a single page.
Also Read: Top 5 languages to start programming with
3. Use of Stationary items effectively:
This is important as it works on visual ability area of the brain, by making the notes more attractive and generates the desire to go through it.
- Use Color pens where each color representing the level of importance of the text. For example Red color pen for most important, orange color for less important than red one and so on. (Don’t use too many colors; just be specific in terms of using color pens.)
- Use Highlighters to draw attention over a paragraph or topic or terms.
- Use sticky notes to attach additional points to the given context for your better understanding. You can use it to note down to the names of important topics of the chapter and place it in beginning to get the whole chapter at a glance.
The point that is over all those tips is your consistency and dedication that keeps you going until you finish it. Note –making is a time taking process that tests your patience. So, whenever you sit to make notes, make sure you do it with mindfulness and enjoy the journey of making your own Brahmastra.